Last updated 10 August 2015.
WHO WE ARE
We collect personal information and we respect your rights under New Zealand law. Where personal information is collected in New Zealand we comply with our obligations under the Privacy Act 1993 in relation to the collection use, storage, management and disclosure of your personal information.
A SPECIAL NOTE TO CHILDREN UNDER 13 YEARS OF AGE
You must be 13 years of age or older to register with our site. Please do not register if you are under 13 years of age.
A SPECIAL NOTE TO PARENTS
Parents should supervise their children's online activities and consider using parental control tools available from online services and software manufacturers that help provide a child- friendly online environment. These tools can also prevent children from disclosing online their name, address, and other personal information without parental permission.
To help protect you and others, we monitor use of this site, and we use the information we collect, including personal information, to:
- identify fraudulent activities and transactions;
- prevent abuse of and investigate and/or seek prosecution for any potential threats to or misuse of this site;
- otherwise to protect the rights and property of Sony Music Entertainment, its partners, and customers.
Monitoring may result in the collection, recording, and analysis of online activity or communications through this site. If you do not consent to these conditions, you must discontinue your use of the site.
HOW WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
a) From you
We may collect, process and use personal information relating to you by:
- you providing it to us by filling in forms on our site or by you contacting us;
- if you apply for a job with us, collecting it from you or from any recruitment consultant, your previous employers and any other party who may be able to provide information to us to assist in our decision relating to your application; or
- our monitoring of the use of this site.
This includes, but is not limited to, information provided at the time of registering to use (or becoming a member of) our site, participating in contests, chat rooms or bulletin boards, subscribing to any services (e.g. newsletters or email updates on particular artists or types of music), purchasing downloads, sending e-cards, posting material or requesting further services.
We may collect and hold the following personal information from you:
- Contact information such as name, email address, street address, and phone number
- Billing information such as credit card number and billing address
- Demographic information such as age, gender, interests, country and zip code
- Unique identifiers such as user name and password
- Preference and other information such as product wish lists, order history, marketing preferences and cell phone carrier
- Location information such as your actual or approximate location.
You are not required to provide us with this information but, if you choose not to, you may not be able to register to use our site or participate in some of the activities on this site.
b) By using cookies and other technologies
In addition, we may use 'cookies' to collect data relating to your general Internet usage. This data may include IP-addresses, browser version, number of visits and similar such data relating to your navigation of the Internet and our site. A 'cookie' is a small text file that is placed on your computer's hard drive. Cookies help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service, for instance by storing information about your preferences and allowing us to recognise you when you return to our site.
You may refuse to accept cookies by activating settings on your Internet browser. However, please note that if you select such settings you may be unable to access certain parts of our site.
We gather certain information about the users of our site automatically and store it in log files. This information includes Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet
Service Provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data. This information does not identify individual users. We use this information to identify usage trends, to administer the site, to track users' movements around the site and to gather demographic information about our users collectively.
We also use pixel tags on the website, which are small graphics on each web page that tell us what parts of our website customers have visited or to measure the effectiveness of searches customers perform on our site. This information is analysed for us by Google Analytics.
TRANSMISSION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION VIA THE INTERNET
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Any transmission is therefore at your own risk.
Once we have collected your personal information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access. However, we cannot guarantee that any information you submit to us will be free from unauthorised third party intrusion.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share the password with anyone.
Sony Music Entertainment has taken precautions to ensure that any credit card payments via the website are safe and secure. We store your credit card details after your first purchase so you don't need to continually enter and transmit those details over the internet. To protect your personal information and privacy, we automatically encrypt your credit card data using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). SSL encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read as the information travels over the Internet.
You will know when transmitted data is safe by the appearance of a security notice when you enter a secure page. Usually, a secure icon will appear on your browser. Secure web pages can also be identified by their URL: they begin with 'https://', while standard pages begin with 'http://'.
Sony Music Entertainment has also implemented measures to ensure that your stored credit card details are kept safe.
WHERE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IS KEPT OR TRANSFERRED
The personal information that we collect may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside New Zealand, for instance if any of our servers from time to time are located outside New Zealand or if one of our service providers or suppliers is located in a country outside New Zealand or if we share your personal information (in accordance with the 'With whom we share your personal information' section below).
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect, store, use and disclose the personal information collected from our site in the following ways:
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to conduct advertising or marketing, including to provide you with direct marketing communications, information, products or services that you have requested or otherwise consented to receive from us (or third parties, where appropriate) or which, based on your musical preferences or use, we feel may interest you;
- to send you requested updates and newsletters about an artist, type of music or related special offers;
- to send you requested product or service information;
- to administer competitions you enter and to contact you if you win a prize and to send the prize to you;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us;
- to fulfil your order;
- to send you an order confirmation;
- to respond to your service requests, questions and concerns;
- to administer your account;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to display content based upon location and/or interests;
- to conduct research and analysis;
- to comply with our legal obligations, resolve any disputes that we may have, and enforce our agreements with third parties; and
- to process information submitted with a job application.
WHO WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO
a) Group companies and third party service providers
We may disclose your personal information to our employees or related bodies corporate worldwide, third party service suppliers and providers, professional advisers, dealers and agents or existing or potential agents, business partners or partners.
We may disclose your personal information to those artists (and their management companies) that you have expressed an interest in, who may then use your personal information, in accordance with this policy, to keep you updated with information about them.
c) Other third parties
Where you take part in a promotion that we hold in conjunction with another company, we may disclose your personal information to that company.
We may transfer, sell or assign any information, including personal information, to third parties, in connection with the sale, merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of substantial assets, reorganisation or liquidation of Sony Music Entertainment, or any part of it. We may share with others, at our discretion, certain aggregate statistical data about purchases and the use of our content, which data may include demographic data such as the age range and/or geographic location of groups of users. No personal information (such as names or email addresses) will be identifiable from such statistics.
d) In special circumstances
We may otherwise disclose personal information to any person as required, authorised or permitted by law.
e) Disclosure of personal information overseas
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that any person located outside of New Zealand to whom we disclose your personal information will deal with such personal information in a way that is consistent with the New Zealand Privacy Principles.
YOUR RIGHT TO ACCESS, CORRECT OR REMOVE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can opt out of receiving any further messages from Sony Music Entertainment or anyone with whom we disclose your personal information to (as described above) at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions in any message sent to you.
You have a right to access the personal information we hold about you, and also the ability to correct or update it. Please contact our Privacy Officer (see below) to submit your enquiries for access to, or correction or update of, the personal information we hold about you. We may deny your request to correct or update information in some circumstances, but if we do this we will tell you why.
OUR PRIVACY OFFICER
You may contact our Privacy Officer by sending an email to [email protected] or by writing to The Privacy Officer, Sony Music Entertainment Australia Pty Limited, 11-19 Hargrave Street, East Sydney, NSW 2010.